Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Spring Quarter 2010

Today I had online registration for the Spring Quarter. Registering online always makes me nervous because what if I don't get the classes I want? what if the internet goes out? Thankfully today I did get the classes I want and Panera Wifi didn't let me down.
I thought since I'm always interested in what my other Seminary friends are taking, I'd share what I have signed up for. :)

1. Job and Human Suffering
DESCRIPTION: The book of Job will be examined critically from the twin perspectives of its meaning in its ancient context and its continuing significance for the modern community of faith. Lectures will alternate between close exegetical treatment of selected passages of Job and surveys of larger thematic and structural issues, including the place of Job within the contexts of Israelite and ancient Near Eastern wisdom literature. Significant time will be given to discussion of the implications of Job for the theological reflection and praxis of the church: how is suffering consistent with our confessions about God, how can we learn from the suffering of others, and how can we minister faithfully to those who suffer?


2. Worship Ministry on the Lord's Day
DESCRIPTION: This course explores both the practical and theological dimensions of worship leadership and examines issues relating to the planning and implementing of worship on the Lord's Day (Sunday or Sabbath) in various Christian traditions. A significant part of the course will be devoted to the actual practice of worship leadership and the careful theological planning of worship on the Lord's Day. Students will be given opportunity to participate in the planning process of all-seminary chapels, will be exposed to the worship life of an actual congregation, and plan worship for that church. Further, the course gives opportunity to develop skills in the public reading of Scripture; leading in prayer, ex tempore and prescribed; application of pastoral care to worship; musical selection and leadership.

*The previous 2 courses are in the School of Theology and the 3rd is actually in Fuller's School of Intercultural Studies.

3. World Religions, Art, and Symbol
DESCRIPTION: This course explores the major world's religions by looking at art and symbols and other nonverbal means of expression. It provides an introduction to Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism, Islam, and Christianity. Instead of focusing on the study of the written texts of these religions, the course investigates them through the study of their art, symbolism and rituals. We will explore the nonverbal and sensory elements of these religions and discuss their meaning and role. For example, we will look at the importance and the role of architecture, color, sound, rhythm, images and how they impact believers consciously and non-consciously and are essential elements of beliefs and practices. Students who take this class will enhance both their understanding of people from other faiths and their ability to communicate and relate with them.

(I'm excited about this course because it is a 2 week intensive. So while I only have the class for 2 weeks in April, its Mon-Fri for 3 hrs. From friends I've heard mixed reviews about these kind of classes so I figured I'd just try it and judge for myself.)

No comments: